Individual Well Being
Hardwiring Happiness - The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence by Rick Hanson, Ph.D.
Dr. Hanson is a neuropsychologist and internationally best selling author. He is the founder of the Wellspring Institute for Neuroscience and Contemplative Wisdom. His books are easy to follow and practical in nature.
RickHanson.net for valuable tools, practices and videos. Dr. Hanson also has a free newsletter, Just One Thing that you can sign up for on his website. In addition, he has podcasts available to listen to as well. You may want to view Dr. Hanson's TED talk that is posted on his website.
I really like Dr. Hanson's work. His books are written in a format that are easy to digest and structured to be helpful in a practical manner.
Daring Greatly - How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brene Brown, Ph.D. LMSW
Dr. Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work. This last decade her research has focused on the following topics: shame, vulnerability, courage and worthiness.
Healthy Couple Relationships
Hold Me Tight - Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love by Dr. Sue Johnson.
This research based, but practical book was written for the general public to assist in enhancing and healing relationships. Guided exercises make this particularly helpful. There is also an interactive, online version of this book guided by Dr. Sue Johnson. Find more information on this program that is set up in 8 episodes on Dr. Johnson's website.
Dr. Sue Johnson is the founder of Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) and founder of the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT) based in Canada. She is a clinical psychologist, researcher and international speaker in the field of couple therapy and adult attachment. Dr. Johnson's research spans 30 years and is peer reviewed, clinical research. Her method has shown a 70-75% success rate. She trains therapist worldwide.
drsuejohnson.com Dr. Johnson's "Creating Connections" Website has information on her books & DVDs. Videos are available to view and her Blog is embedded in this site.
Love Sense - The Revolutionary New Science of Romantic Relationships by Dr. Sue Johnson.
The focus is on the how and why we love, using scientific evidence and research. The intent is to help readers understand that romantic love is based on an attachment bond. Dr. Johnson shares information on how to create healthy, long term relationships.
Special Note: I have done training with Dr. Johnson and integrate her work into my practice with couples. I like her focus on creating connection and fostering healthy adult attachment.
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work - A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert by Dr. John M. Gottman, Ph.D. and Nan Silver
The foundation of this book is based on Dr. Gottman's decades of research on couple relationships. The books intent is to help couples with more knowledge of relationship dynamics and how to handle conflict and do repair work when needed. Gottman shares many ways for couples to strengthen their relationship, creating connection and long term relationships. Millions of copies of this book have been sold worldwide. The book has been updated with the latest research done by the Gottman Institute that is co-founded by Dr John Gottman and Dr. Julie Swartz Gottman. The Gottman Institute is located in the Seattle, Washington area. The Gottmans are involved in training programs for therapists in the US and internationally.
gottman.com The Gottman Institute website is full of resources for couples, parents and mental health professionals. Their event schedule is listed on their site as well for the general public and for training of professionals. They offer a free email service called the "Marriage Minute" that you can sign up for on their website. In addition, their blog is available for viewing on their site.
Special Note: I am Level 2 trained in Gottman Method Therapy. I integrate Gottman work in my practice with couples. The Gottman Method has a nice mix of creating strong, loving connection with practical strategies to show couples what they can do to create a healthy relationship.
Fighting for Your Marriage - A Deluxe Revised Edition of the Classic Best Seller for Enhancing Marriage and Preventing Divorce by Howard J Markman, Scott M. Stanley, and Susan L. Blumberg
This book is based on PREP, a highly researched program for divorce prevention and marriage enhancement. PREP stands for Prevention and Relationship Enhancement Program. There is a PREP premarital course that coincides with the book. This book has practical steps and exercises to assist couples. This book has been updated several times. The latest version of this classic is in 2010 with the most current revised title listed above. It is based on 30 years of research. It is empirically informed and empirically tested.
prepinc.com This website has resources that follow the PREP model. There is an on line program- ePrep that can be accessed through this site or you can go directly to lovetakeslearning.com This online self paced program has seven sections for study. Videos are a part of this program. You have access for 6 months. Also on the general prepinc.com site you will find Dr. Stanley's Blog.
Prepare-Enrich Premarital and Marriage Assessment
This assessment has a foundation of 35 years of research, with a continuation of additional research. It is an evidence based assessment tool. In 2009 a customized version was implemented according to the relationship stage: dating or engaged or married. The Prepare- Enrich Assessment which is taken on line by both partners is followed up with a face to face facilitator to go over the assessment results. Follow up sessions with the facilitator / therapist that target needed areas are an option.
prepare-enrich.com This website is where you can assess the prepare-enrich online assessment. You can also find their Blog on this site or you can go to their blog.prepare-enrich.com directly with this link..
There is a Prepare-Enrich You Tube Channel that you can assess for videos of skills that demonstrate their methods. youtube.com
Special Note: I am a trained Prepare - Enrich facilitator to do feedback from the assessment and provide additional targeted sessions. I find this assessment to give a clear picture of what is going on in the relationship and a great map to decide what to focus on to assist in the relationship.
The Ready Assessment and The Relate Assessment
The Ready Assessment is set up for Singles who are not in a committed relationship (but would like to be) and want to assess what areas they may need personally to grow in to have the best chance for a healthy relationship. This is an online assessment.
The Relate Assessment was developed for couples who are in a committed relationship or who are engaged or living together to assess issues that are important for marriage or for continuing a committed relationship OR to help a couple in deciding if a relationship should end. Both partners will purchase the on line assessment and will have a comprehensive report sent to them. Some couples choose to work with a therapist or trained facilitator to address issues that are identified.
The Relate Institute is located in Brigham Young University in UT. It is a non profit organization and is one of the most comprehensive premarital assessments available. It has been continually revised through out it's 30 years of existence. It is based on academic research.
relateinstitute.com To begin the assessment process you will go to this website. In addition, the Institute's Blog can be found on their website.
Special Note: I have had RELATE training to help couples who wish to work on issues after the assessment is completed.
"How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk" Book Series
- How to Talk So Little Kids Will Listen by Joanna Faber & Julie King
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish
- How to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish
- How to Talk So Kids Can Learn at Home and in School by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish with Lisa Nyberg & Rosalyn Austine Templeton
- Siblings Without Rivalry - How Help Your Children Live Together So You Can Live Too by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish
This is a classic series that has stood the test of time. The newest book is by Adele Faber's daughter, Joanna Faber.
"Conscious Discipline" Books / Resources
- I Love You Rituals by Dr. Becky A. Bailey, Ph.D.
- Managing Emotional Mayhem - The Five Steps for Self Regulation by Dr. Becky A. Bailey, Ph.D.
- Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Dr. Becky Baily, Ph.D.
ConsciousDiscipline.com Dr. Bailey has lots of resources for parents and teachers on her website. There is a freebie section too. She has an award winning children's book series and musical CDs as well. Dr. Bailey may also be found on YouTube.
"Positive Discipline" Book Series
- Positive Discipline by Jane Nelsen, Ed.D.
- Positive Discipline for Preschoolers by Jane Nelsen, Ed.D., Cheryl Erwin, and Roslyn Duffy
- Positive Discipline: for A-Z, Revised and Expanded 3rd Edition by Jane Nelsen, EdD., Lynn Lott, M.A., M.F.T., and H Stephen Glenn
- Positive Discipline for Teenagers, Revised 3rd Edition by Jane Nelson, Ed.D. and Lynn Lott
Dr. Nelson's books are a classic and still on track as to mindful, positive parenting.
Dan Siegel, MD & Tina Payne Bryson Ph.D. - Brian Based Guidance / Discipline Books
- The Whole-Brain Child - Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind by Daniel J. Siegel, M.D. and Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D.
- NO-DRAMA DISCIPLINE - The Whole Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind by Daniel J Siegel, MD and Tina Payne Bryson, PhD.
- NO-DRAMA DISCIPLINE WORKBOOK - Exercises, Activities, and Practical Strategies to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Developing Minds by Daniel J. Siegel, MD and Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D.
- THE YES BRAIN - How to Cultivate Courage, Curiosity, and Resilience in Your Child by Daniel J. Siegel, M.D. and Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D.
- BRAINSTORM - The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain - The Inside - Out Guide to the Emerging Adolescent Mind, Ages 12-24 by Daniel J. Siegel, M.D.
Dr. Siegel and Dr. Payne Bryson's books are based on current research in regard to brain development and how to use this knowledge to parent in way that is developmentally appropriate and encouraging of promoting self discipline.
Peaceful Piggy Meditation by Kerry Lee MacLean (elementary age)
Children's Problem Solving Book Series (for ages 3-9)
- My Name is Not Dummy by Elizabeth Crary
- I Can't Wait by Elizabeth Crary
- I Want It by Elizabeth Crary
- I Want to Play by Elizabeth Crary
Self Calming Cards by Elizabeth Crary and Mits Katayama (24 self-calming tools and 12 activity cards)
Yoga Pretzels - 50 Fun Yoga Activities for Kids & Grownups by Tara Guber and Leah Kalish
Stress Free Kids - Helping Build Self Esteem, Manage Stress and Reduce Anxiety in Children by Lori Lite.
Resources on this site include books, CDs, and downloads by author Lori Lite. There are resources for younger children (3-9), older children (6-12) and teens. My favorite CD of the collection is Indigo Dreams, which is intended for younger children, but I feel it works well for older children as well. In fact, I enjoy listening to it myself! Lori's CDs and individual visualizations and songs can be purchased on iTunes or Amazon or on her site.
1. Photo Credits: Girl on Books by Gaelle Marcel; Older Couple by Lotte Meijer; Couple Kissing by Alejandra Quiroz; Wedding Couple by Anne Edgar; Parent with Child in Street by London Scout; Boy with Telescope by Teddy Kelley.
2. Where to Purchase Books & Resources: Most of the books can be purchased at Amazon.com.
3. Updates: Things change quickly as to resources and what is and is not available. Plus what has been updated or revised. This listing was last updated on 3-18.